A youth with a great eye for taste
Jenna Enslin is a 15-year-old freshman at Ennis High School.
She is the daughter of Shain and Tina Enslin. Jenna has three sisters and one brother at home, so she is used to helping prepare large meals for her big family. In addition to her parents and siblings, her aunt Lynnette, Uncle David, “Big Sister” Christy, Godsister Kenlei and great- grandfather Sherman join the family every evening for dinner.
Supper time is quality family time each evening. Jenna is taking Principles of Human Services (formerly known as Home Ec) where she is learning to fine tune her cooking skills.
She often tries out her “assignments” on the family.
The Mexican Cocoa Torte is one of the family’s favorites because it perfectly compliments a meal of homemade Mexican food, which is the family’s favorite, and indulges her mom’s chocolate passion.
Mexican Cocoa Torte
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup strong coffee
1/3 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 (11-ounce) package pie crust mix
2 cups cold heavy or whipping cream
• Combine sugar, cocoa, coffee, shortening and cinnamon in a small saucepan and cook over very low heat, stirring constantly, until smooth and creamy. Cool to room temperature.
• In a medium bowl, combine pie crust mix and 3/4 cup of the cocoa mixture, blending well. Shape into smooth ball; refrigerate 1 hour.
• Heat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line two cookie sheets with foil; mark two 8-inch circles on each.
• Divide pastry ball into 4 pieces; form each piece into small ball. Place balls of pastry on foil; press with fingers to fit into the marked circles.
• Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until almost set; cool on cookie sheets.
• In a small bowl, combine the heavy cream and remaining cocoa mixture and beat with an electric mixer on high until stiff.
• To assemble: Place one pastry round on serving plate; spread with one-fourth whipped cream mixture.
Repeat layering with remaining three rounds and whipped cream mixture, ending with whipped cream. Refrigerate several hours before serving.