Early on in 1939, a trail was marked by Louis Clarke along a path at Country Club Lake where he had roads cut and signs made.
The farsighted gentleman was to live to see his dream brought into full realization through the Ennis Garden Club. The first trails committee was appointed by Mrs. Ernie Roller, club president in 1951. Mrs. C.A. McMurray was the trails chairman. Our bluebonnet trails from that day forward to today include three routes that have a combined mileage of 45 miles. All of the bluebonnets and wildflowers in this area are natural and were never seeded.