Ennis Daily News

Indian official: all 18 on submarine feared dead


NEW DELHI (AP) — An Indian naval official says all 18 sailors on board a submarine are feared dead after twin explosions and a fire ripped through their vessel in a Mumbai harbor.

The official says the navy believes there is no way anyone could have survived the intensity of the blasts and fire Wednesday.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because no bodies have yet been recovered.

Officials had said earlier that there had been no contact with the sailors since the explosions, which lit up the sky above the Mumbai navy base where the vessel was docked. They said navy divers had opened one of its hatches but had not yet been able to enter the submarine because it was dark and full of muddy water.

Post to Twitter

Comments

comments

Posted by on Aug 14 2013. Filed under Off-the-wire, World news. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Featured Links

    Search Archive

    Search by Date
    Search by Category
    Search with Google
    Log in

     

    Copyright: All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Ennis Daily News content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Ennis Daily News. Ennis Daily News and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Ellis County Newspapers, Inc.

    © Ellis County Newspapers, Inc. 2014