Ennis Ford Perfect Drive
Ennis Daily News

Lion soccer explodes to swat Jackets, 8-2

Ennis building momentum for rematch with Waxahachie
Looking to work its way back up the district standings, Lion soccer was highly motivated when it headed to Ferris on Tuesday.
The Yellowjackets are the lone district team not to lose to Corsicana (1-1 tie), so Lion coach Alex Rendon wanted to see his team’s A-game. Ennis (8-6-2, 2-3) simply went nuts at the offensive end, scoring five first-half goals on the way to an 8-2 victory. The biggest district games lie ahead, but Tuesday’s display was impressive.
“I think this was a big game for us with district coaches talking about how Ferris was improved and how good their go-to player was,” Rendon said.
“Starting 0-3 in district was pretty sobering and I felt a lot of pressure to win these last two games. We worked our scheme pretty well, even into the wind. When things started getting heated out there, we kept our composure for the most part.”
As the coach alluded to, the first half was chock-full of shady fouls and challenges by Ferris as Ennis began to pull away. There were three red cards issued in the opening 40 minutes – including two for Ferris, and a Yellowjacket player had to go to the hospital with a concussion.
“Soccer is a very physical sport and that was quite evident early in this game,” the coach said.
Thomas Deleon ran wild for Ennis with a trio of goals and an assist. Juan Patlan scored twice and Angel Hernandez tallied two assists.

Goals pile up in a hurry
The first dozen minutes of play saw Ennis threaten against a strong wind and narrowly miss out on an initial goal. Hernandez was doing an excellent job of possessing the ball against multiple defenders, and Ross Hubacek had an impressive stretch of similar play while he manned an unfamiliar position.
“Ross was marking their top player and he’d never been that far up front, but he played within himself and did well,” Rendon said.
In minute 13, Patlan won the ball from the Ferris goalie before it could be secured and he booted a cross into the middle. The ball couldn’t be controlled by a Ferris defender and it bounced into the goal off of him, which gave Juan credit for the 1-0 lead as the last Lion to touch it.
“You put pressure on a guy and he tries to clear the ball the wrong way,” Rendon said.
“You take a goal how you can get it, especially against the wind.”
In the 21st minute, a Jacob Montoya foul in front of the Ennis goal on a Ferris fast break resulted in a penalty kick. The Jacket shooter put it away in the right corner for a 1-1 game. Overall, Montoya was excellent on defense with his aggressive approach.
“That was a legit call, but Jacob is a real solid defender,” Rendon said.
“He goes in hard and wants to win the ball.”
In minute 28, Ennis went back in front. Beto Perez booted an excellent 30-yard direct kick to the backside of the goal and Miguel Torres headed the ball in. The goalie desperately tried to make the save, but it was ruled the shot crossed the goal line (2-1).
“That was a good job of finishing by Miguel with the header – something that doesn’t always come easy,” Rendon said.
Just one minute later, an altercation ensued that resulted in the ejection of one player from each team and a penalty kick for Ennis. Perez confidently drilled the shot into the right corner of the goal (3-1).
“You expect a goal there and Beto was able to convert with a good shot,” the coach said.
In minute 37, Ferris received a gift from the ref. An obvious Yellowjacket foul was inexplicably ruled on an Ennis player and thus the home team received a 20-yard direct kick. Goalie Taylor Mahone went low for a save, but wasn’t able to secure the ball and it was followed up at point-blank range for a 3-2 contest.
“That was a ridiculous call in my opinion,” Rendon said.
“It looked like they fouled us. Taylor made a great save on the direct kick and we didn’t follow up to clear the ball away.”
Ferris appeared to be in good shape with two minutes left in the half, but Deleon was about to enter the best eight-minute stretch of his career. The senior had been giving the Jackets trouble with his speed and when Sergio Munoz hit a cross behind the defense in minute 38, Deleon was on the spot with a quality boot past the keeper (4-2).
“I tried to put that ball toward the post and away from the keeper,” Deleon said.
“Thomas’ placement was the key and Sergio’s cross to him was really good,” Rendon added.
With just 13 seconds left in the half, Deleon received a Hernandez pass and exploited the middle of the Ferris defense with a close-range finish (5-2).
“Angel quickly fed the ball to Thomas and he found a soft spot in the defense,” Rendon said.
“There were a lot of those for us tonight.”
“When I got that one to make it 5-2 at the half, I knew this was our game,” Deleon said.

Lions put finishing
touches on blowout
Just five minutes into the second half and seven minutes after his first goal, Deleon struck again for the hat trick. Hernandez floated a cross in front of the goal and Deleon elevated for a brilliant header into the far corner of the net (6-2).
“That was a beautiful setup by Angel to the back post and Thomas was able to finish,” the coach said.
“It would be hard to make a header look that good in practice.”
“Angel crossed a good ball and I just jumped up to head it in,” Deleon said.
“He and Juan were giving me good passes all night and Sergio gave me a good cross for one of the goals. We really worked together.”
To cap off an unbelievable stretch of offensive soccer, Ennis scored its fourth goal in a nine-minute span just seconds later (7-2). Deleon won the ball, but instead of shooting he passed it off to Patlan. As the goalie charged out, Juan calmly put a low shot past him.
“Thomas made the smart decision to pass off to Juan and he put it away,” Rendon said.
“Soccer is a team sport and I love helping someone else get a goal,” Deleon added.
Ennis’ siege on the Ferris defensive third continued as Munoz finalized the score in showstopping fashion in minute 53. After an impressive Hernandez blast ricocheted way back out off the post, Munoz unleashed a devastating 30-yard strike that bounced in off the top bar (8-2).
“Sergio’s goal was phenomenal because of how well he struck the ball,” Rendon said.
“All you could say was ‘wow.’”
Some of Ennis’ younger players who’d entered the contest threatened for a ninth goal down the stretch as Ferris anxiously awaited the final horn.
“Matt French continues to do a good job at whatever position I want him to play,” the coach said.
“Tonight it was sweeper and Matt is stepping it up every game.”
“Knowing they tied Corsicana, we really came out hard against Ferris,” Deleon added.
“I’d say it worked out at 8-2. After we lost to Red Oak, we decided we were going to come at teams instead of letting them attack us.”
Ennis has a huge rematch on its hands Friday in Waxahachie at 7 p.m. The Indians are looking mighty vulnerable after they were crushed 5-0 by Corsicana on Tuesday.
“Now I feel like we’re starting to play some pretty good soccer,” Rendon said.
“Are we really only the fourth-best team in our district or should we be ranked higher? Going into Waxahachie, we didn’t play our best against them last time and here we go with a second chance.”

Post to Twitter




Posted by on Feb 25 2009. Filed under Editorials. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Featured Links

    Search Archive

    Search by Date
    Search by Category
    Search with Google

    Photo Gallery

    Log in


    Copyright: All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Ennis Daily News content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Ennis Daily News. Ennis Daily News and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Ellis County Newspapers, Inc.

    © Ellis County Newspapers, Inc. 2019