Ennis Ford Perfect Drive
Ennis Daily News

Sokol Hall celebrates historic sign

Members of the Sokol Hall are planning a historic ceremony with hopes that the community will help them celebrate as they dedicate a stone sign in front of the Sokol Hall and pool building.
The ceremony will take place Sunday, April 5, at 3 p.m. and with such a colorful story on how the sign arrived in Ennis, organizers are hoping to share the day with a large crowd.
The sign, which reads "Sokol Havlicek-Tyrs," was engraved after several mergers that ultimately saw Sokol Vysehrad join with Sokol Komensky in 1921 in Chicago. When a new building was constructed in 1926, the stone markers were engraved with the name, but the building was destroyed by fire in 1974.
When a member of the Sokol who lived in the neighborhood of the Chicago building noticed a wrecking crew demolishing the remains of the building, he called Chicago resident Joseph Janecka to tell him of the fate of the building. Janecka, a former president of the Czech Philatelic Society and an avid collector of Czechoslovak memorabilia, took an interest in the sign and tried to save it.
After not being able to gain the support of former members of the Sokol, he went to the demolition site and made a deal with the foreman of the project for the sign.
TO READ THE FULL STORY, SUBSCRIBE TO THE ENNIS DAILY NEWS • 972-875-3801

Post to Twitter

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

comments

Posted by on Apr 1 2009. Filed under Editorials. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Featured Links

    Search Archive

    Search by Date
    Search by Category
    Search with Google

    Photo Gallery

    Log in

     

    Copyright: All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Ennis Daily News content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Ennis Daily News. Ennis Daily News and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Ellis County Newspapers, Inc.

    © Ellis County Newspapers, Inc. 2018