Ennis Ford Perfect Drive
Ennis Daily News

Dignified Mamie Cerf deeded farmhouse to city


It seems whenever local history is discussed, a common topic is the 1969 razing of Ennis’ most prestigious old home, the Cerf Mansion. It was a time when commercial progress was in the forefront and preservation rarely considered. Built by businessman Isadore Cerf for his wife, Mamie, in 1904, the palatial 14-room house that took up half a city block was a replica of the hospitality pavilion at that year’s St. Louis World’s Fair. Designed by Corsicana architect H.L. Lockhead, the Cerf house was made of cypress and fitted with mahogany paneling, Italian marble fireplaces and gold-leaf fixtures throughout. Isadore Cerf died in 1923 and Mamie in 1962. Childless, Mamie deeded her house to the City of Ennis to use “for the good of the people, no matter what race or creed.” By that time, the Cerf Mansion was one of Ennis’ claims to fame, renowned as an ideal example of Edwardian era southern architecture. In the1930s, the landmark was featured in Architectural Digest and by photojournalist Dorothea Lange in Life magazine. Read stories like this and more in your latest edition of The Ennis News. Be informed, subscribe today!

Post to Twitter

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

comments

Posted by on Aug 13 2018. Filed under History of Ennis, Lifestyles. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Featured Links

    Search Archive

    Search by Date
    Search by Category
    Search with Google

    Photo Gallery

    Log in

     

    Copyright: All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Ennis Daily News content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Ennis Daily News. Ennis Daily News and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Ellis County Newspapers, Inc.

    © Ellis County Newspapers, Inc. 2018