Ennis Ford Perfect Drive
Ennis Daily News

He saved his neighbors bacon


After retiring from decades of putting out fires, Billy Bratcher knows a thing or two about smelling trouble. But last week while sitting on his porch and enjoying a cup of coffee, it was his dog who alerted him to a fire under his own nose. “It was 10:30 a.m. and my wife (Karen) and I were having our daily chat and coffee,” he recalled. “Our dog, Belle, came barking, and we knew something was up. I looked next door and there was smoke coming out the front door.” Bratcher, 67, dashed inside and grabbed a couple of fire extinguishers and ran to his neighbor’s back door. She greeted him and said the kitchen was on fire. “The stove was in flames,” he said, “and so were the cabinets above the stove. Then I saw flames going up the walls and were about to go around the corner. Karen called 9-1-1 and I went to work.” Read stories like this and more in your latest edition of The Ennis News. Be informed, subscribe today!

Post to Twitter

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

comments

Posted by on Feb 4 2019. Filed under Local, News. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Featured Links

    Search Archive

    Search by Date
    Search by Category
    Search with Google

    Photo Gallery

    Log in

     

    Copyright: All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Ennis Daily News content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Ennis Daily News. Ennis Daily News and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Ellis County Newspapers, Inc.

    © Ellis County Newspapers, Inc. 2019