Ennis Ford Perfect Drive
Ennis Daily News

Waco wave pool closes after surfer dies from ‘brain-eating amoeba’


WACO, Texas — The BSR Surf Resort in Waco voluntarily closed its wave pool for CDC testing after a surfer who visited the pool died from Naegleria fowleri, which is also known as a “brain-eating amoeba.”The surfer who passed away was Fabrizio “Fab” Stabile from New Jersey. The infection is extremely rare, but very deadly. According to the CDC, the fatality rate for the amoeba is over 97 percent. Only four people out of 143 known infected individuals in the United States from 1962 to 2017 survived. Symptoms of Naegleria fowleri include headache, fever, nausea or vomiting and usually start one to nine days after the initial infection. Later symptoms can include stiff neck, confusion, lack of attention to people and surroundings, loss of balance, seizures and hallucinations. Once symptoms begin, the disease progresses rapidly and typically causes death in five days. CDC crews collected water samples, trying to find the source of the contamination. The park will stay closed until results come back from the investigation.

Post to Twitter

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

comments

Posted by on Oct 1 2018. Filed under State news. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. Both comments and pings are currently closed.

Comments are closed

Featured Links

    Search Archive

    Search by Date
    Search by Category
    Search with Google

    Photo Gallery

    Log in

     

    Copyright: All rights reserved. Users may download and print extracts of content from this website for their own personal and non-commercial use only. Republication or redistribution of Ennis Daily News content, including by framing or similar means, is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Ennis Daily News. Ennis Daily News and its logo are registered trademarks or trademarks of the Ellis County Newspapers, Inc.

    © Ellis County Newspapers, Inc. 2018